- This event has passed.
Women Who Walked Ahead
March 28, 2021 , 11:00am – 12:30pm
In honor of Women’s History Month, Green-Wood presents this special ninety-minute walking tour in celebration and recognition of the women who challenged the social, cultural, and political order of the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Through this eye-opening exploration that highlights the bravery of some of the Cemetery’s most notable women, you’ll discover Isabella Goodwin, the first woman detective in New York City; socialite and philanthropist Louisine Havemeyer, who was arrested for attempting to burn an effigy of Woodrow Wilson; and entrepreneur Elizabeth Gloucester, whose fortune helped fund John Brown’s raid on Harper’s Ferry.
Tickets are pay-as-you-wish, though we recommend $10-$15 per person. With your support, Green-Wood is able to offer free and low-cost programs throughout the year.
Please note that tickets are limited to one per transaction due to capacity. They must be reserved in advance and cannot be rescheduled. Click here for our inclement weather policy. Donations are non-refundable.
MANDATORY SAFETY PROTOCOLS
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– The walk is over hilly and uneven terrain, comfortable footwear is encouraged.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.
If you observe a situation or behavior that does not reflect these protocols, please advise an ambassador or other staff member immediately. With everyone’s cooperation this will be a memorable and safe unique experience.