We welcome you to visit Green-Wood! We’re open 365 days a year, at no charge.
Our current hours, as of November 5, 2023, are the following:
- Our Main Entrance (Fifth Avenue and 25th Street) will be open daily from 8am to 5pm to both pedestrians and vehicles.
- Our Sunset Park Entrance (Fourth Avenue and 35th Street) will be open daily from 8am to 5pm (pedestrian gate) with vehicle admittance from 8am to 4pm.
- Our Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance (Fort Hamilton Parkway and Micieli Place) and Prospect Park West Entrance (Prospect Park West and 20th Street) will each be open from 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday (pedestrian gate only). On Saturday and Sunday, gates are open 8am to 5pm (pedestrian gate) with vehicle admittance from 8am to 4pm.
*Please Note: Hours vary seasonally and will change in April 2024.
We remind you to always exit the premises at least ten minutes before the stated closing time, as the gates are closed and locked promptly on the hour. If you find yourself locked in after hours, please contact security at 347-865-4816.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR VISIT
We welcome you to enjoy and explore our historic landscape. Please review our visitor guidelines outlined below prior to your visit to help us maintain a safe and peaceful environment for everyone.
Remember that Green-Wood is an active cemetery, please be respectful of cemetery services and mindful of those visiting the final resting places of loved ones.
- Maps are available at all entrances for your convenience. A PDF map can also be accessed here.
As a safety precaution, we cannot permit the use of bicycles, scooters, rollerblades, or the like within our grounds. Please park your bicycle or scooter outside at our bike rack before entering the gates.
- While walking through Green-Wood, please be aware of passing cars and keep to the side of the road wherever possible. The cemetery is open to vehicles so that families can navigate easily to the gravesites of their loved ones.
- To maintain a serene space for all who enter, we ask that you refrain from recreational activities including, running, jogging, or game-playing and from making excessive noise.
- Children should be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- You may enjoy a snack or beverage on our grounds, but picnicking is not allowed.
- Please dispose of any trash in the provided receptacles. Trash cans are available throughout the Cemetery and at each entrance.
- Restrooms are available at all of our entrances. Accessible restrooms can be found in the Modern Chapel near the Main Entrance and the Gatehouse at the Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance.
- Water bottle filling stations are located near the Main Entrance Arch, at the Prospect Park West Entrance, and near the Sunset Park Entrance in the Service Yard (please ask for assistance).
- In efforts to reduce waste and contribute to maintaining a healthy environment, we ask that only natural, biodegradable materials are left as tributes. We recommend fresh flower bouquets, with any plastic, cellophane, or wire removed.
- Tributes composed of plastic, glass, metal, or any non-biodegradable material, are not permitted.
- Evergreen arrangements may be placed during the holiday season and palm crosses during Easter season.
- For a full list of rules pertaining to graveside tributes, click here.
Monuments and Mausoleums:
- Green-Wood’s historic memorials, many well over 100 years old, may be fragile. In order to protect monuments and mausoleums from damage, please refrain from touching or grave rubbings.
- As a safety precaution, never sit, walk, or lean on monuments or mausoleums as they may topple over.
Trees and Other Plants:
- Green-Wood aims to promote a safe and healthy natural landscape. Please be mindful of the living things around you.
- Please walk only on roads, paths, and grass, avoiding flower beds.
- To protect the health of our Living Collection of trees, please refrain from climbing or sitting in trees.
- Refrain from picking flowers and removing leaves from trees.
- Out of respect for those visiting loved ones, we do not allow pets aside from service animals.
- As a safety precaution, please keep a safe distance from any wildlife you encounter on the grounds, including beehives. Please enjoy from afar.
- For the health of our wildlife, please do not feed any wildlife, including birds, fish, squirrels, etc.
Parking and Vehicles:
- Green-Wood’s roads are shared between pedestrians and vehicles. We ask that while driving you use caution and drive slowly. Please be mindful of those walking, especially as you turn corners.
- You are welcome to park throughout the Cemetery at no charge. We ask that you park on the right-hand side of the road (avoiding grass) and make sure to leave space for passing vehicles.
- We welcome and encourage you to take photos of Green-Wood for personal use.
- Tag @historicgreenwood on Instagram, use the hashtag #greenwoodcemetery, and/or post to our Facebook page, The Green-Wood Cemetery.
- Professional photography (intended for publication or commercial use) and movie cameras are permitted only with the written consent of The Green-Wood Cemetery. For permission, please call 718-210-3057.
- Please do not bring props or live models.
- Use of drones is not legally allowed in the Cemetery.
Green-Wood reserves the right to ask visitors who do not abide by these guidelines to leave the premises.
Thank you and have a great visit!