Green-Wood is the ideal place to enjoy birding, whether you are just starting out or have a more seasoned eye! Green-Wood’s Living Collection of trees, its grasslands, and its four ponds are stop-over habitat for over 185 species of migrating birds annually.
To explore the birds of Green-Wood, attend one of our Birding in Peace walking tours (more info below).
If you’d like to birdwatch on your own, pick up our official checklist from the security guard at the Main Entrance on 25th Street or access a PDF here. If you’re visiting with kids, check out our Birding at Green-Wood hunt!
Birding in Peace Walking Tours
All walks are at a slow pace on easy to moderate terrain, but proper, close toed footwear is suggested. Click here for our inclement weather policy.Location: Check-in takes place in the meadow at the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
Just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean that there aren’t interesting birds to discover in Green-Wood. For some bird species that migrate south after the breeding season, Brooklyn is their Miami during the cold months. Spend the early morning exploring the cemetery, looking for overwintering waterfowl, nuthatches, woodpeckers, sparrows, finches and any half-hardy birds that decided to stick around. By February we’ll see some of the early northbound birds beginning to trickle back into the area.
Tickets are $20/$15 for members. There are no paper or e-tickets. Attendees will be checked in by name. Click here for our inclement weather policy.
Please note: Green-Wood’s official birding checklist is available to pick up from the security guard at the Main Entrance on 25th Street or as a printable PDF here.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.
Mandatory Safety Protocols
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
– Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.
If you observe a situation or behavior that does not reflect these protocols, please advise an ambassador or other staff member immediately. With everyone’s cooperation this will be a memorable and safe unique experience.