Green-Wood is the ideal place to enjoy birding, whether you are just starting out or have a more seasoned eye! Green-Wood’s Living Collection of trees, its grasslands, and its four ponds are stop-over habitat for over 185 species of migrating birds annually.
To explore the birds of Green-Wood, attend one of our Birding in Peace walking tours (more info below).
If you’d like to birdwatch on your own, pick up our official checklist from the security guard at the Main Entrance on 25th Street or access a PDF here. If you’re visiting with kids, check out our Birding at Green-Wood hunt!
Birding in Peace Walking Tours
Before our gates open to the general public, birding expert Rob Jett leads these peaceful early morning walking tours to discover the many birds that call Green-Wood home.
All walks are at a slow pace on easy to moderate terrain, but proper, close toed footwear is suggested. Green-Wood’s official birding checklist is available to pick up from the security guard at the Main Entrance on 25th Street or as a printable PDF here.
Tickets are $20/$15 for members. Click here for our inclement weather policy.
Sundays, December 6th & 13th, January 24th, February 7th & 21st, March 7th & 21st
Just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean that there aren’t interesting birds to discover in Green-Wood. For some bird species that migrate south after the breeding season, Brooklyn is their Miami during the cold months. Spend the early morning exploring the cemetery, looking for overwintering waterfowl, nuthatches, woodpeckers, sparrows, finches and any half-hardy birds that decided to stick around. By February we’ll see some of the early north-bound birds beginning to trickle back into the area.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Mandatory Safety Protocols
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– The tour guide will be using a voice amplifier to ensure all social distancing protocols are adhered to.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.