- This event has passed.
Black in Brooklyn Trolley Tour
February 26, 2022 , 10:00am – 12:00pm
In honor of Black History Month, Green-Wood presents this celebration of the unique stories of Black lives in Green-Wood. Although Brooklyn and New York City have long struggled with segregation and racism, they also have a history of diversity, progress, and activism. This trolley tour, led by Green-Wood Historian Jeff Richman, will examine the life and accomplishments of many prominent Black New Yorkers, as well as several abolitionists who fought for freedom in America.
You’ll visit the monuments of Susan Smith McKinney Steward, the first Black female doctor in the state; Jean-Michel Basquiat, innovative artist of the 1970s and ’80s; jazz pianist Cedar Walton; Jeremiah Hamilton, New York’s first black millionaire; and others who made lasting impacts in the ongoing struggle toward equality.
$30/ $25 for members.
Before Purchasing Your Ticket, Please Note:
- Due to COVID-19, this tour may be canceled. Attendees will be notified immediately of any changes and your ticket(s) will be refunded.
- Attendees MUST wear a face covering at all times on the trolley, regardless of vaccine status, and follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors. Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to anyone who refuses to comply with these guidelines, which are based on CDC, state, and city mandates.
- This trolley tour will involve briefly walking on uneven terrain and climbing steps; however attendees may stay seated in the trolley if they wish. Comfortable footwear is suggested.
- Location: Check-in takes place at the Historic Chapel at the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
- There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Seating is limited. Trolley tours routinely sell out. We strongly suggest that you reserve tickets in advance to ensure a spot for your preferred day.!
- Tickets are non-refundable (unless the tour is canceled by Green-Wood) and cannot be exchanged for a different tour or date!
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever. We will credit your ticket(s) for a future tour or program, just email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your tour. Please understand our staffing is limited and we will respond as soon as we can.
Green-Wood trolley tours are fully accessible and ADA compliant. In order to accommodate a wheelchair or other mobility aids on the trolley, arrangements must be made in advance. Please call 718-210-3080, ext. 1.
Not a Member?
Click here for all of our membership levels and information.
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.