THE SPOON RIVER PROJECT
Imagine sitting deep within Green-Wood Cemetery on a beautiful summer’s night when some of its permanent residents begin to appear in the distance, assemble in front of you, and one by one divulge their secrets, their private thoughts, their regrets and the turmoil that filled their lives.
“If you want to know what life is about, listen to the dead.
That is . . . when they talk to you.”
That is . . . when they talk to you.”
Accompanied by songs including “Shall We Gather at the River,” “Softly and Tenderly” and “In the Gloaming,” 11 actors tell a story of the fictional town of Spoon River through its residents who have since left this world. Playwright Tom Andolora of Brooklyn College has adapted the classic American work by Edgar Lee Masters for the stage and directs the production as well. Click here or scroll down for direct links to purchase tickets for each show described below.
EVENING SHOWS: Preview nights: 6/15 and 6/16. Opening night: 6/17. Additional performances: 6/18, 6/22, 6/23, 6/24 and 6/25. $20 in advance. At the door: $20 for members of The Green-Wood Historic Fund and $25 for non-members. Arrive at 8:00 p.m. sharp.
“DRINKS TO DIE FOR” AFTER PARTY: On Opening Night, 6/17, don’t miss the most unique après-theater party you’ll ever go to. Surrounded by gravesites and the night skies, you’ll chat with the director and the actors of The Spoon River Project. $40 or $75 for two (show plus party.) Arrive at 8:00 p.m. sharp. Party ends at 11:00 p.m.
SATURDAY SHOWS AT MIDNIGHT! A performance of the The Spoon River Project at midnight in a cemetery. Need we say more? But wait, there IS more. Audience members for the midnight show are also treated to a private tour, before the show, inside the cemetery’s Catacombs, built in the 1850s, normally not accessible to the public. Midnight show plus Catacombs tour: $30 in advance. At the door: $30 for members of The Green-Wood Historic Fund and $35 for non-members. Arrive at 11:00 p.m. sharp. Show ends at 1:30 a.m. Please bring a flashlight for the Catacombs tour.
SUNDAY MATINEE: 6/26, $20 in advance. At the door: $20 for members of The Green-Wood Historic Fund and $25 for non-members. Arrive at 3:00 p.m. sharp.
- For mature audiences only. Admission is restricted to ages 15 and over.
- No alcohol or food is permitted in the cemetery (except when served during the 6/17 cocktail party).
- Please arrive at Green-Wood’s main entrance (25th Street and Fifth Avenue) at the specified time (3:00 p.m. for the matinee, 8:00 p.m. for evening shows, and 11:00 p.m. for midnight shows). All ticket-holders will then travel by Green-Wood trolley to the middle of the cemetery, where the performance will take place.
- Audience members must board the trolley to travel to the site of the play. Anyone who is late will miss the trolley and miss the show.
- Chairs and benches are provided for the audience.
- Audience members for the midnight shows should bring a flashlight to use during the Catacombs tour.
- The performance lasts one and a half hours with no intermission. Ticket holders will then return, via trolley, to Green-Wood’s main entrance.
- Flash photography is not permitted during the performance.
- If there is rain the night of the performance, please check our website or call 718-210-3080 for show status. If the show is rained out, ticket holders can use their tickets for any other night of the performance.
- Wednesday, June 15th at 8:00 PM
- Thursday, June 16th at 8:00 PM
- Friday, June 17th at 8:00 PM
- Saturday, June 18th at 8:00 PM
- Saturday, June 18th at 11:00 PM
- Wednesday, June 22nd at 8:00 PM
- Thursday, June 23rd at 8:00 PM
- Friday, June 24th at 8:00 PM (This show is SOLD OUT)
- Saturday, June 25th at 8:00 PM (This show is SOLD OUT)
- Saturday, June 25th at 11:00 PM (This show is SOLD OUT)
- Sunday, June 26th at 3:00 PM (This show is SOLD OUT)