As one of New York City’s oldest and largest cemeteries, Green-Wood is an extraordinary resource for genealogists and anyone seeking information about their family members.
With more than 560,000 burials, the earliest dating to 1840, Green-Wood estimates that its genealogical information relates to over 20 million individuals alive today. That translates to a massive volume of unique genealogical resources.
It’s why we don’t just call our services genealogy; we call it “Green-ealogy.”
Here’s how it works
1. Fill out the form below and press send.
2. We then conduct our initial review (at no cost) and send you our research proposal for locating archival cemetery records that relate to your search.
3. We give you an estimate of how much time it will take to locate, copy and prepare those records and what it will cost. Research fees are $28 per half hour.
4. If you approve the charges, you use the link we provide to pay online.
5. After we receive payment, we conduct our research and prepare your personalized Set of Findings.
Please note that privacy laws and cemetery policy restrict the examination of records that are less than 70 years old, with some exceptions for lot-holders and family members.
Begin right now
What you can expect
There is often variation within the individual records, but most of Green-Wood’s files contain vital information for each burial: the cause of death, age at death, and late residence. Many also have the names of other family members, original family and business correspondence, and other unique documents.
A typical Set of Findings includes:
- Summary of research discoveries.
- Photocopies or scans of archival documents.
- Photograph(s) of a burial lot and/or monument.
- Map of lot location.
Our fees are $28 per half-hour of research. Photocopies, digital scans and/or photographs of a gravestone or memorial carry small additional charges, as listed below.
- Research Fee $28.00 (per half hour)
- Photocopies $0.50 per page
- Digital Scans $5.00 per scan
- Digital Images (Photos) $25.00 per image
- Processing/Handling Fee $5.00
Members of Green-Wood (Dual/Family level and above) receive a 10% discount on genealogy services. Enter your member ID at checkout.