- This event has passed.
Winter Fungi Walk
January 23, 2021 , 11:00am – 12:30pm
While the colorful trees and migrating birds of Green-Wood get lots of buzz, visitors might not know about the bounty of mushrooms sprouting throughout the Cemetery’s 478 verdant acres. Join Sigrid Jakob and Ethan Crenson, longtime members of the New York Mycological Society, for a socially distanced mushroom walk to discover Green-Wood’s winter fungi. Not only do some edible mushrooms pop up during thaws, but other types of fungi, like polypores, jellies, and crust fungi flourish in the colder weather. Tiny ascomycetes, or “dots on sticks,” are an often overlooked but ubiquitous fungi that, though difficult to identify, are fascinating to study. Learn basics of mushroom identification, habitat, and season. Come prepared for cold weather and off-road walking.
Meet at the Main Entrance Gate by Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
$25 / $20 for members. There are no paper or e-tickets. Attendees will be checked in by name.
Please note: All walking tours traverse hilly and at times uneven terrain. Comfortable footwear is suggested. Click here for our inclement weather policy.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.
Mandatory Safety Protocols
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– The tour guide will be using a voice amplifier to ensure all social distancing protocols are adhered to.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.