- This event has passed.
Hymn to the City: Dress Rehearsal
The New York Philharmonic
June 2, 2021 , 7:15pm – 9:45pm
The Long Story
Hymn to the City is a ground-breaking collaboration between Death of Classical, The Green-Wood Cemetery, and The New York Philharmonic—a sprawling, immersive event that pays tribute to New York’s singular spirit of resilience and renewal after a year of collective trauma, loss, and mourning.
Attendees will be taken on a journey across the Cemetery, hearing the stories of Green-Wood’s extraordinary permanent residents—many of whom are members of the New York Philharmonic community—interwoven with music, dance, and poetry. From Leonard Bernstein’s gravesite to the Hill of Graves, the Civil War Soldiers Monument to the Catacombs, we’ll remember the battles lost and won, the challenges overcome, and the boundless ingenuity, open-hearted creativity, and indomitable strength of our beloved city.
The Short Story
A once-in-a-lifetime celebration of the greatest city in the world.
Important things to note before purchasing your tickets
- Attendees must fill out a health survey in advance of the event.
- Arrive on time! We will start with thirty minutes to enjoy whiskey tastings and snacks (all free!), and the beauty of the Cemetery, before the program begins. No late admittance.
- The program is mainly outdoors and runs for approximately two hours, which includes walking over hilly and uneven terrain; proper footwear is recommended.
- Health and safety protocols will be strictly enforced, including wearing a mask and keeping a distance of at least 6 feet from those not in your party. Follow directions given by Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Rain date Sunday, June 6th for tickets purchased for June 3rd–5th performances.
- Sorry, we cannot refund or exchange tickets for another performance or timeslot.
- There are no member discounts for this performance.
All pianos are generously provided by Yamaha.
Mandatory Safety Protocols
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.
If you observe a situation or behavior that does not reflect these protocols, please advise an ambassador or other staff member immediately. With everyone’s cooperation this will be a memorable and safe unique experience.