- This event has passed.
September 10, 2023 , 10:30am – 12:00pm
At least 950 species—and counting—of insects and spiders have been sighted in Green-Wood. (A number we have thanks to the observations of citizen scientists on iNaturalist!) Herbivores and carnivores, pollinators and parasites, beneficial and detrimental, beautiful and, sometimes, frightening—the Cemetery’s smallest, most ephemeral life-forms provide a fascinating wealth of learning opportunities.
Price: $25, and $20 for members
Join Matthew Wills for an afternoon of insect watching! In the same spirit as bird watching, we’ll observe those tiny invertebrates that your favorite birds eat and that pollinate the flowers around us. Wills is a writer, educator, and amateur naturalist. In addition to leading bird, bug, and tree ID tours in Green-Wood, he has given natural history tours for the Brooklyn Bird Club in Prospect Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park and worked as a consultant with the National Wildlife Federation’s Green Schools program in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. He writes about natural history at matthewwills.com.
Before Purchasing A Ticket, Please Note:
- Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There is no need to print tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the meadow near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear. The route includes several steep hills, some stairs, as well as grassy and uneven terrain. There is no place to sit down during the tour. Due to the challenging nature of the route, this tour is not ADA compliant and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave during the tour. Please consider your own abilities–as well as those in your party–before purchasing tickets.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the tour is canceled. If a rain date is scheduled, tickets will be honored only on that date.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.