- This event has passed.
Black in Brooklyn Trolley Tour
February 25, 2023 , 10:00am – 12:00pm
In honor of Black History Month, Green-Wood presents this celebration of the unique stories of Black lives in Green-Wood. While Brooklyn and New York City have long struggled with segregation and racism, they also have a history of diversity, progress, and activism.
This trolley tour, led by Green-Wood Historian Jeff Richman, will examine the life and accomplishments of many prominent Black New Yorkers, as well as several abolitionists who fought for freedom in America.
Price: $30, and $25 for members
You’ll visit the monuments of Susan Smith McKinney Steward, the first Black woman doctor in the state; Jean-Michel Basquiat, innovative artist of the 1970s and 80s; jazz pianist Cedar Walton; Jeremiah Hamilton, New York’s first black millionaire; and others who made lasting impacts in the ongoing struggle toward equality.
Before Purchasing A Ticket, Please Note:
- COVID-19 Policy: In accordance with New York State and CDC guidance, masks are optional. Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the Historic Chapel near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: This tour includes climbing stairs and walking on grassy and uneven terrain. We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear. Due to the nature and length of the route, this tour is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave the tour early.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the tour is canceled.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.
Green-Wood trolley tours are fully accessible and ADA compliant. In order to accommodate a wheelchair or other mobility aids on the trolley, arrangements must be made in advance. Please call 718-210-3080, ext. 1 or email email@example.com.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.