- This event has passed.
Black in Brooklyn
February 27, 2021 , 11:00am – 12:30pm
In honor of Black History Month, Green-Wood presents this special ninety-minute walking tour in celebration and recognition of the unique stories of the Black residents interred here. Starting from the Cemetery’s Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance, this tour will highlight some of the Black New Yorkers who challenged segregation and racism with a commitment to diversity, progress, and activism. You’ll visit the monuments of notable residents such as Susan Smith McKinney Steward, the first Black female doctor in the state; Jean-Michel Basquiat, innovative artist of the 1980s; and James Weldon Johnson, writer of “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” often referred to as the “Black national anthem.”
Tickets are pay-as-you-wish, though we recommend $10-$15 per person. With your support, Green-Wood is able to offer free and low-cost programs throughout the year. Please note that tickets are limited to one per person due to capacity and must be reserved in advance. Tickets are non-refundable and cannot be rescheduled.
Notice: This tour begins and ends from the Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance located at the intersection of Fort Hamilton Parkway and Micieli Place. Transportation from the Main Entrance will not be provided. You can use this handy Google Map to find your way. Click here for our inclement weather policy.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Mandatory Safety Protocols
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– The walk is over hilly and uneven terrain; comfortable footwear is encouraged.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
– Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.
If you observe a situation or behavior that does not reflect these protocols, please advise an ambassador or other staff member immediately. With everyone’s cooperation this will be a memorable and safe unique experience.