- This event has passed.
Birding in Peace
April 30th , 6:00am – 7:30am
Before our gates open to the general public, birding expert Rob Jett leads these peaceful early morning walking tours to discover the many birds that make Green-Wood their home—at least temporarily. Green-Wood’s official birding checklist will be made available to all attendees, or you can print it in advance here.
And depending when you stop by, you may see a variety of different species passing through:
Price: $20, and $15 for members
Early Spring Migration (April)
Our April tours will be a feast for the ears and eyes with the trilling song of pine warblers and drumming pronouncements of woodpeckers on newly blossoming trees (including magnolias, maples, quinces, and dogwoods). We’ll discover thousands of songbirds resting before their trip farther north as well as arriving herons and egrets at Green-Wood’s glacial ponds.
Peak Spring Migration (May to mid-June)
From ruby-throated hummingbirds to over twenty species of colorful wood warblers, our peak migration tours will feature many of the 163 bird species that have been recorded at Green-Wood during the month of May. Beginning just after sunrise, we will experience spring’s dawn chorus at the most active time of day for birds.
Summer Birding (Late June to August)
In July we should see the offspring of our resident red-tailed hawk bravely preparing to leave the nest. Warbler songs will be replaced by chirring cicadas and the tweets of fledgling birds. Butterflies and dragonflies are abundant. By late-July, expect the arrival of the first southbound migrants.
Before Purchasing A Ticket, Please Note:
- COVID-19 Policy: In accordance with New York State and CDC guidance, masks are optional. Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the meadow near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear.The route includes several steep hills, some stairs, as well as grassy and uneven terrain. There is no place to sit down during the tour. Due to the challenging nature of the route, this tour is not ADA accessible and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.DA accessible and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave during the tour. Please consider your own abilities–as well as those in your party–before purchasing tickets.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the tour is canceled.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.