- This event has passed.
Artist Talk and Walk with Athena LaTocha
November 13, 2022 , 12:30pm – 2:00pm
Athena LaTocha will discuss her creation of The Remains of Winter, a tableau of site-specific sculptures currently on view in Green-Wood’s Historic Chapel and outdoors on Battle Hill. LaTocha was inspired by the Cemetery as a site for memory and mourning that is also an oasis with an abundant collection of mature trees, thriving wildlife populations, and steeped in geological history. The new works are made from trees that once grew at Green-Wood and are cloaked in thin sheets of lead, a material historically used in coffins to slow decomposition, in an allusion to the natural decay of all things.
Price: Free. Registration required.
To learn more about The Remains of Winter, click here.
Location: Check-in takes place at the Main Entrance Arch at 25th Street and Fifth Avenue. During the first half hour you are invited to explore the installation in the Historic Chapel before taking a short uphill walk to Battle Hill, comfortable footwear is recommended.
Free. Registration required. Please consider a donation to the Green-Wood Historic Fund so that we can continue to offer free and low-cost programs throughout the year.
Before Registering, Please Note:
- COVID-19 Policy: In accordance with New York State and CDC guidance, masks are optional. Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the Main Entrance Arch at 25th Street and Fifth Avenue (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear.The route includes several steep hills, some stairs, as well as grassy and uneven terrain. There is no place to sit down during the tour. Due to the challenging nature of the route, this tour is not ADA accessible and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave during the tour. Please consider your own abilities—as well as those in your party—before purchasing tickets.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.