Effective Date: May 21, 2021
THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW WE COLLECT IT
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website and App, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, mailing address, e-mail address, date of birth, telephone number, and any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“Personal Information”);
- That is about you but individually does not identify you; and
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website/App and usage details
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us or contact us by phone, mail, or email, in person or via our Website or App;
- When you register for an event or make a contribution, either on our Website or via our App, at an event, over the phone or by mailing in a check;
- Automatically as you navigate through our Website or our App; and
- From third parties, for example, our service providers who provide us with personal information about you in order to help us better understand and cater to your preferences, improve the quality of our services to you, prevent or detect fraud, and for other business purposes.
- From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in ways not described above, subject to your express approval.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT DIRECTLY FROM YOU
Information we collect on or through our Website and App may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in hard copy applications or written forms, including affidavits relating to lot ownership, removals or change of location, estimates and general statements or to purchase items such as flowers and seasonal blankets, or to process interments and cremations. These forms are stored in physical form as required by New York Department of State regulations;
- Records of deceased individuals provided to us by you, including date of birth, date of death, place of death, and next-of-kin. This information may be stored in various in-house databases maintained by Green-Wood;
- Information on cremation and interment;
- Records and copies of your correspondence, including email addresses and any other details provided, including about your relatives; and
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website or App.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
As you navigate through and interact with our Website and App, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website;
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type
The information we collect automatically is only statistical data and does not include personal information, but we maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and App and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website and App according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
Web Beacons. Pages of our Website and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may use your personally identifiable information to:
- To establish a relationship and communicate with you about our burial services, cremations, special tributes, volunteer opportunities, educational programs, tours and other events (our “Services”) or to respond to your inquiries and for other current and future customer service purposes.
- Contact you via email to inform you about events and promotions (including by sending you e-newsletters, marketing communications, and announcements from us). By calling or submitting a web form to us, you consent to receive communications from us at the email address you provide.
- To process donations and event registrations and issue tax receipts;
- To comply with all laws and regulations, including reporting requirements;
- To plan future fundraising activities and events;
- To tailor the content and information we may send or display to you using location customization and personalization across our Website and App.
- To better understand how users access and use our Website, App and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to modify or improve our Website, App and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
RECORDS RETENTION AND DESTRUCTION
Green-Wood complies with all Internal Revenue Service, state, and local regulations and Green-Wood’s internal policies governing the retention, management, and destruction of donor information collected and maintained by Green-Wood.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your information, including your Personal Information, as follows:
- Service providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf, including Eventbrite, Authorize.net, Mailchimp, Fareharbor, Shopify, GiveLively, Stripe, Paypal and WealthEngine, each of which are platforms that allow us to streamline transactions, administrative requirements and the services we provide to you.
- Our Partners. We may share your information with certain business partners or third-party organizations for the purpose of offering you additional goods, services, and/or programs that may be of interest to you.
- Business transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with, another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we collected from you to another company or individual.
- In response to legal process. We may disclose the information we collect from you to comply with the law, judicial proceedings, court orders, or other legal processes, such as in response to court orders or subpoenas.
- Aggregate and de-identified information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research, or similar purposes.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of our users and customers. Therefore, we do not sell or rent our user’s Personal Information to any third party. Further, we do not share your Personal Information with any third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
In cases where you are asked to share payment information on the Green-Wood Website or App, those payments may be facilitated via Eventbrite, Shopify, GiveLively, or Fareharbor. These websites store purchaser identity information and contact details and pass payment information to platforms like Stripe, Authorize.net or Paypal.com (“Paypal”) for storage and processing. We do not obtain or store credit card numbers or other payment or transaction information other than the date and amount of payment. You may also want to consult the Eventbrite, Shopify and Fareharbor Privacy Policies or Terms of Service if you have questions about their use of your personal information.
EU AND INTERNATIONAL USER DISCLOSURES AND RIGHTS
Subject to applicable law (for example, if you are located in the European Union with rights under the General Data Protection Regulation), you may have one or more of the following rights with respect to Personal Information: the right to request access to such information; the right to request correction of such information; the right to request deletion or erasure of such information; the right to request restrictions on our processing or use of such information; the right to object to our use under certain circumstances; the right to withdraw consent under circumstances when consent is required for any use of such information; and the right to obtain such information in portable form.
In certain circumstances in any European Union member state, you may have the right to lodge a complaint regarding our privacy practices with the applicable data protection authority.
To exercise any rights under the GDPR or for further information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies); you also may opt-out of targeted advertising by following the instructions in the Third-Party Links section.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your device through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Website, while others allow us to track your activities at our Website.
- Make our Website work in a more user-friendly way;
- Improve the speed and security of the site; and
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission);
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission);
- Share data with advertising networks or any other third parties.
There are two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into our Website or App. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity after you have logged in, as you move through our Website or App.
Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity and to display advertising both on our Website or App and on third-party sites.
Our Website and App each contain links to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other similar social media sites that enable you to “Like” or share the content of our website with other people via social media. When you use these “share” buttons, a third-party cookie is installed. The privacy implications on this will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Website who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Website, but some features may not function.
These cookies are required for the operation of our Website and our App. If you do not want these cookies to be set, you should not access or use our website for any purpose.
More Information About Cookies.
For more detailed information about cookies, including how to disable cookies, see www.allaboutcookies.org.
If you have any questions in relation to this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not “sell” your Personal Information, as defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), and we have not sold your Personal Information in the past twelve (12) months. California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see the Your California Privacy Rights section below for more information.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite these efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
ALTHOUGH WE WILL TAKE REASONABLE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT THE PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM AND STORED ON THE WEBSITE, BECAUSE OF THE OPEN NATURE OF THE INTERNET, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT PERSONAL INFORMATION STORED ON OUR SERVERS, TRANSMITTED TO OR FROM A USER, OR OTHERWISE IN OUR CARE WILL BE SAFE FROM INTRUSION BY OTHERS, SUCH AS HACKERS. ACCORDINGLY, WE DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY THEFT OR LOSS OF, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS OR DAMAGE TO, OR INTERCEPTION OF ANY DATA OR COMMUNICATIONS. BY USING THE SITE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO ASSUME THESE RISKS.
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you, such as when you sign up for our newsletter on our Website or App. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the message. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails or text messages about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you messages about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
CHILDREN UNDER 13
Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can review and request changes to the personal information that Green-Wood has collected about you by contacting Green-Wood as described in the Contact Us section below. However, please be aware that Green-Wood may not accommodate a change request that would impact record retention or other operational requirements like remembering email opt-out preferences, violate any law or legal requirement, or cause the information to be incorrect. Deleting your personal information may also require deleting your user account (if any).