- This event has passed.
The Brooklyn Bridge: 140 Years Later
May 20th , 10:00am – 12:00pm
When the awe-inspiring Brooklyn Bridge opened on May 24, 1883, it stood not only as an extraordinary feat of modern engineering, but as a towering beacon of human triumph.
Join Green-Wood Historian Jeff Richman, to visit the final resting places of some of the key figures involved in the construction of the NYC icon and hear their fascinating stories.
Price: $30, and $25 for members
From the assistant engineers who built the bridge to the shipbuilder who built the caissons used during its construction to the trustees who helped guide the work (including Boss Tweed), Green-Wood is a veritable who’s who of the Brooklyn Bridge. Don 3D glasses (supplied free of charge) to view historic images of the bridge being built!
Jeff Richman is the author of Building the Brooklyn Bridge, 1869-1883: An Illustrated History with Images in 3D, published in 2021. While he’s served as Green-Wood’s historian for over two decades, his passion for New York City history has been lifelong. Signed copies of his book will be available for purchase at the end of the tour, or pre-purchase it by adding it to your ticket(s)!*
*Please note: pre-purchased books are only available for pick up. You will receive your book(s) at check-in for The Brooklyn Bridge: 140 Years Later Trolley Tour on May 20th.
Before Purchasing A Ticket, Please Note:
- COVID-19 Policy: In accordance with New York State and CDC guidance, masks are optional. Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There is no need to print tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the Historic Chapel near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: This tour includes climbing stairs and walking on grassy and uneven terrain. We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear. Due to the nature and length of the route, this tour is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave the tour early.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the tour is canceled.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.
Green-Wood trolley tours are fully accessible and ADA compliant. In order to accommodate a wheelchair or other mobility aids on the trolley, arrangements must be made in advance. Please call 718-210-3080, ext. 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.