- This event has passed.
Spring Egg Hunt: Spotted Lanternfly Edition￼
March 19th , 1:00pm – 3:00pm
This is not your familiar Eastertide activity. Join Sara Evans, senior manager and curator of living collections, on a hunt for spotted lanternfly egg masses on the trees in Green-Wood.
Since 2014, the spotted lanternfly, a planthopper native to Asia, has been spreading and establishing throughout the eastern United States. Because they lack significant natural predators in the area, their population is expanding unchecked.
Price: Free. Registration required.
As spotted lanternflies feed on trees and vines, they add stress to the plants, and can even kill several species, including tree-of-heaven. Removing egg masses before they hatch is a surefire way to manage their population and reduce stress on our urban forest!
Join us to learn how to identify, safely remove, and effectively discard egg masses, while learning about the life cycles and documenting the egg-laying habits of the spotted lanternfly.
And remember that you can slow the spread of spotted lanternfly by checking that your vehicle and firewood is free of egg masses or nymphs before traveling with it out of state.
Free. Registration required. Please consider a donation to the Green-Wood Historic Fund so that we can continue to offer free and low-cost programs throughout the year.
Before Reserving Your SPot, Please Note:
- COVID-19 Policy: In accordance with New York State and CDC guidance, masks are optional. Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the meadow near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear. The route includes several steep hills, some stairs, as well as grassy and uneven terrain. There is no place to sit down during the tour. Due to the challenging nature of the route, this tour is not ADA accessible and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave during the tour. Please consider your own abilities—as well as those in your party—before purchasing tickets.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the tour is canceled.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.