- This event has passed.
Green-Wood’s Hidden Treasures: A Preservationist’s View
April 16th , 11:00am – 12:30pm
Green-Wood is an immense place, and a visit to our grounds can be overwhelming. What should you see? What direction should you go in? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! This new series of tours, led by the Cemetery’s expert staff, provides a behind-the-scenes exploration of art, history, and nature.
For this morning’s walking tour, Neela K. Wickremesinghe, Green-Wood’s Robert A. and Elizabeth Rohn Jeffe Director of Restoration and Preservation, will answer all of your burning questions about how she and her team preserve the legacy of the Cemetery’s over 570,0000 permanent residents.
Price: $25, and $20 for members
Who looks after the graves? How are monuments conserved? What goes into restoring a large mausoleum? Neela will also speak about the Cemetery’s workforce development program in the restoration trades, how her experience in restoration construction prepared her for work at Green-Wood, and some of her favorite projects from the past few years.
Neela has worked at Green-Wood since 2016 restoring, resetting, and managing Green-Wood’s vast monument collection.
Location: Check-in takes place in the meadow at the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
Before Purchasing Your Ticket, Please Note:
- Attendees are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to wear a face covering at all times, regardless of vaccine status, and follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors. Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to anyone who refuses to comply with these guidelines, which are based on CDC, state, and city mandates.
- This tour will involve walking on uneven terrain and climbing steps. Comfortable footwear is suggested.
- Location: Check-in takes place at the meadow near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
- There are no paper or e-tickets. Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Tickets are non-refundable (unless the tour is canceled by Green-Wood) and cannot be exchanged for a different tour or date!
- Inclement weather policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever. We will credit your ticket(s) for a future tour or program, just email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your tour. Please understand our staffing is limited and we will respond as soon as we can.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.