Green-Wood’s Hidden Treasures: A Historian’s View
May 21st , 10:00am – 12:00pm
Green-Wood is an immense place, and a visit to our grounds can be overwhelming. What should you see? What direction should you go in? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! This new series of tours, led by the Cemetery’s expert staff, provides a behind-the-scenes exploration of art, history, and nature.
For this morning’s walking tour, Green-Wood Historian Jeff Richman will let you in on some of his nearly thirty years of research. With an eye focused on the fascinating lives of the Cemetery’s permanent residents, he will also share recent discoveries in our ongoing Unmarked Graves Project. Whether you are new to Green-Wood, or an old friend, there will be lots to discover together!
Price: $30, and $25 for members
Jeff Richman led his first tour of Green-Wood in 1991, became the Cemetery’s part-time historian in 2001, and has been its full time historian since 2007. He has written four books, two self-guided walking tours, and the history narrative of the Green-Wood mobile app. He also maintains a blog of all things Green-Wood.
Location: Check-in takes place in the meadow at the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
Before Purchasing Your Ticket, Please Note:
- Attendees are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to wear a face covering at all times, regardless of vaccine status, and follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors. Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to anyone who refuses to comply with these guidelines, which are based on CDC, state, and city mandates.
- This tour will involve walking on uneven terrain and climbing steps. Comfortable footwear is suggested.
- Location: Check-in takes place at the meadow near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
- There are no paper or e-tickets. Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Tickets are non-refundable (unless the tour is canceled by Green-Wood) and cannot be exchanged for a different tour or date!
- Inclement weather policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever. We will credit your ticket(s) for a future tour or program, just email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your tour. Please understand our staffing is limited and we will respond as soon as we can.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.