- This event has passed.
Concert in the Catacombs: Susie Ibarra
May 3rd , 6:30pm – 8:15pm
Four Meditations in Impermanence
By Susie Ibarra
For solo percussion and Rhythm in Nature Ensemble
“Thanks to impermanence, everything is possible.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
In the middle of Green-Wood lies a cavernous underground space rarely open to the public. The Catacombs is not just a place of rest for the departed, it is also the setting for New York City’s most distinctive and atmospheric musical experience.
Price: $40, and $35 for members.
Our 2023 Concert in the Catacombs series is curated by acclaimed experimental singer and songwriter Gelsey Bell. Hailed by The New York Times as “one of New York’s most adventurous musicians,” Bell brings together performers from a diverse range of styles, backgrounds, and influences.
Composer, percussionist, and sound artist Susie Ibarra presents 4 Meditations on Impermanence featuring a processional with Rhythm in Nature Ensemble. Ibarra will perform four solo pieces in the Catacombs, which meditate on the rhythms of forests. Her interdisciplinary practice spans across performance, sound-mapping mobile apps, multi-channel audio installations, recording, and documentary. Many of her projects are based on cultural- and environmental preservation.
- 6:30pm: Doors Open
- 7:00pm: Doors Close
- 7:15–8:15pm: Performance
- 8:00pm: Doors Open
- 8:30pm: Doors Close
- 8:45–9:45pm: Performance
BEFORE Purchasing Your Tickets, PLEASE NOTE:
- Be On Time! Doors close fifteen minutes before the performance begins. For the 6:30pm, doors close at 7:00pm, and for the 8:00pm, doors close at 8:30pm
- Where To Go: Check-in ONLY takes place at the Gothic Arch near the Main Entrance on Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Comfort and Safety: We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear and dress appropriately for the space as it can be chillier inside the Catacombs than outside.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the event is canceled.
- COVID Policy: Attendees are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering at all times on the trolley and in the Catacombs. Please follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.