- This event has passed.
Bugging Out!: Walk for Kids
May 21st , 10:30am – 12:00pm
At least 950 species—and counting—of insects and spiders have been sighted in Green-Wood. (A number we have thanks to the observations of citizen scientists on iNaturalist!)
Herbivores and carnivores, pollinators and parasites, beneficial and detrimental, beautiful and, sometimes, frightening—the tiny life-forms that creep, crawl, buzz, and flutter provide a fascinating wealth of knowledge about the world around us.
Price: $25, and $20 for members or $10 for children 12 and under
Join Matthew Wills for a family-friendly morning of insect watching! In the same spirit as bird watching, we’ll observe those tiny invertebrates that your favorite birds eat and that pollinate the flowers around us. Wills is a writer, educator, and amateur naturalist. In addition to leading bird, bug, and tree ID tours in Green-Wood, he has given natural history tours for the Brooklyn Bird Club in Prospect Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park and worked as a consultant with the National Wildlife Federation’s Green Schools program in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. He writes about natural history at matthewwills.com.
This tour is recommended for children, ages 5-12. Children MUST be accompanied by an adult, and all children and adults are required to purchase tickets.
Before Purchasing A Ticket, Please Note:
- COVID-19 Policy: In accordance with New York State and CDC guidance, masks are optional. Attendees must follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Tickets: There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Where To Go: Check-in takes place at the meadow near the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street (500 25th Street).
- For Your Safety: We strongly encourage attendees to wear suitable footwear.The route includes several steep hills, some stairs, as well as grassy and uneven terrain. There is no place to sit down during the tour. Due to the challenging nature of the route, this tour is not ADA accessible and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.DA accessible and is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
- A Little More About Safety: Unless it is a medical emergency, it is not possible to leave during the tour. Please consider your own abilities–as well as those in your party–before purchasing tickets.
- Refunds and exchanges: Ticket sales are final. No exchanges or refunds unless the tour is canceled.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever.
Not a Member?
Click here for all of our membership levels and information.
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email email@example.com with any questions.