- This event has passed.
Before Central Park Trolley Tour
June 11th , 10:00am – 12:00pm
World-famous Central Park stretches across 843 acres of prime Manhattan real estate. But few people know the story of how its land was acquired for the public—and from whom. Not surprisingly, it turns out that many of those whose land became part of the park are interred at Green-Wood. Join Sara Cedar Miller, Central Park historian emerita, and Jeff Richman, Green-Wood’s historian, to visit the graves of these people and hear their extraordinary stories.
Price: $30, and $25 for members
You’ll learn about Elizabeth Gloucester, the first female Black millionaire in America, whose first real estate holdings were in the African American settlement of Seneca Village; surveyor Roswell Graves, who played a major role in determining the value of the land and homes, with surprising results; and others.
Sara Cedar Miller is the historian emerita of the Central Park Conservancy, which she first joined as a photographer in 1984. She has authored four books about the beloved park, including Central Park, An American Masterpiece (2003), and the just-published Before Central Park (2022).
Before Purchasing Your Ticket, Please Note:
- Due to COVID-19, this tour may be canceled. Attendees will be notified immediately of any changes and your ticket(s) will be refunded.
- Attendees MUST wear a face covering at all times on the trolley, regardless of vaccine status, and follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors. Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to anyone who refuses to comply with these guidelines, which are based on CDC, state, and city mandates.
- This trolley tour will involve briefly walking on uneven terrain and climbing steps; however attendees may stay seated in the trolley if they wish. Comfortable footwear is suggested.
- Location: Check-in takes place at the Historic Chapel at the Main Entrance at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street.
- There are no paper or e-tickets! Attendees will be checked in by name.
- Seating is limited. Trolley tours routinely sell out. We strongly suggest that you reserve tickets in advance to ensure a spot for your preferred day!
- Tickets are non-refundable (unless the tour is canceled by Green-Wood) and cannot be exchanged for a different tour or date!
- Inclement weather policy: We monitor the weather throughout the day for the best chance of proceeding with the tour, and will not make a final decision until at least 3 hours before the start of the tour. Cancellations will be announced via Eventbrite email blasts, so check your email and spam folders.
- Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a fever. We will credit your ticket(s) for a future tour or program, just email email@example.com prior to your tour. Please understand our staffing is limited and we will respond as soon as we can.
Green-Wood trolley tours are fully accessible and ADA compliant. In order to accommodate a wheelchair or other mobility aids on the trolley, arrangements must be made in advance. Please call 718-210-3080, ext. 1.
Not a Member?
Already a Member?
Click the gray tickets button to activate the Eventbrite pop-up, then click Enter promo code. Type in your ID number and apply your discount.
Don’t know your Member ID number? Not sure which ticket or membership type to order? Call 718-210-3080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.