- This event has passed.
Death and Shadows
In the Catacombs
October 7, 2021 , 7:30pm – 10:00pm
THE LONG STORY
The staggering young talents of the Ulysses Quartet join us in the Catacombs for a journey through life, death, sorrow, suffering and the dream of peace.
Osvaldo Golijov’s Tenebrae contrasts the horrific violence the composer saw while visiting Israel, with the profound awe his son expressed after his first trip to a planetarium, where he saw Earth’s tiny place in the endless expanse of the cosmos.
Schubert, meanwhile, composed his dark and deeply-personal “Death and the Maiden” String Quartet after he realized that he was dying from an incurable illness. Impoverished and in despair, he wrote a quartet that centers around a towering slow movement, which depicts a terrified maiden as she begs death to pass her by.
The Short Story
Two masterpieces, written nearly two centuries apart, which both remind us of the beauty and brevity of this life.
$80, no member discount available. There are no paper or e-tickets. Attendees will be checked in by name. Click here for our inclement weather policy.
Important things to note before purchasing your tickets
- Attendees must provide a negative Covid test result or proof of completed vaccination. In addition, you must also fill out a health survey in advance of the event.
- We will start with an hour long reception to enjoy a whiskey tasting and snacks (all free!), and the beauty of the Cemetery, before the program begins.
- The journey to and from the Catacombs takes approximately 15-20 minutes, which includes walking over hilly and uneven terrain; proper footwear is recommended.
- The program inside the Catacombs will run for approximately one hour with no intermission.
- Health and safety protocols will be strictly enforced, including wearing a mask and keeping a distance of at least 6 feet from those not in your party. Follow directions given by Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
- Sorry, we cannot refund or exchange tickets for another performance or timeslot.
- There are no member discounts for this performance.
Mandatory Safety Protocols
– Attendees must wear a face covering at all times and maintain at least a 6-foot distance from those not in their group.
– The walk is over hilly and uneven terrain, comfortable footwear is encouraged.
– Follow ALL instructions and guidance from Cemetery staff and ambassadors.
– Travel Safely: Green-Wood recommends following all safety precautions while traveling to and from the Cemetery, whether by foot, mass transit, or driving. If taking mass transit, please check the MTA’s guidelines.
– Feeling Sick? Stay home if you are feeling sick or running a temperature. Please use good judgement if you have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19. For more information about COVID-19, please check the CDC website.
Green-Wood reserves the right to deny entry to any visitor who refuses to comply with the safety guidelines.
If you observe a situation or behavior that does not reflect these protocols, please advise an ambassador or other staff member immediately. With everyone’s cooperation this will be a memorable and safe unique experience.