Applications accepted July 6-September 2, 2020
This nine-month-long residency (January– September 2021) will offer one artist the opportunity to create a new project or body of work inspired by beautiful natural landscape, stunning monuments, and compelling history.
The residency is open to emerging or mid-career artists residing in New York City and working in the visual and/or performing arts. The artist will be provided a $7,500 honorarium, private studio space in the landmarked Fort Hamilton Gatehouse, and access to the Cemetery’s professional staff and archives and historical collections. The selected artist will be announced at the end of September, 2020.
After an internal review, the top tier of applicants will be scored by an external panel of judges including: Jenny Gerow, Curator, Contemporary Art, BRIC; Gabriel de Guzman, Curator and Director of Exhibitions, Smack Mellon; Carmen Hermo, Associate Curator, Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, Brooklyn Museum; Cathleen Lewis, Artist, Cultural Producer, and Arts Management Leader; and Daniel Simmons, Artist, Poet, and Author.
Applicants must be:
– Emerging or mid-career artists living and working in New York City; Collectives/Collaborators will be considered as long as all members are local.
-Able to create work responding to Green-Wood as a site for art, history and nature, with special consideration given to those who can engage the communities surrounding the Cemetery
The selected artist will:
– Develop a project (or body of work) that is inspired by Green-Wood and engages with the Cemetery’s archives, art, architecture, history, or landscape (or some combination therein)
– Consult with Green-Wood’s professional staff
– Create a final presentation of the work for public viewing
– Present at least one artist lecture and one Open Studios afternoon/evening
– Be on site at least two days a week
– Apply here, applications accepted July 6 – September 2, 2020
– An artist’s statement (650 words max.)
– A statement discussing why you are interested in developing a project at Green-Wood, and how this residency will enrich your work
– CV/Resume (no more than three pages)
– Six examples of recently completed projects (within the past six years) or those currently in progress
For further inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.