- – To walk Green-Wood’s 478 acres is to follow the steps of New Yorkers and Americans dating back to 1838. We’ll give you a free map so you can stroll the grounds on your own, or you can use our self-guided walking tour books. You will discover a peaceful oasis in urban New York, and 175 years of history and beautiful landscape. Admission to Green-Wood is free at all times, and free maps are available at any of our entrances.
- – Choose a guided tour or other event to attend. Public programs at Green-Wood highlight the landmark’s vast array of themes including New York culture, the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, landscape design, art and architecture, and much more.
- – Book a private group or a school group to see Green-Wood by guide.
Green-Wood welcomes visitors at four entrances. Hours vary by season and by entrance. See details below.
Main Entrance (Fifth Avenue and 25th Street)
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. October 1 to Mar 31, every day
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 1 to September 30, every day
Sunset Park Entrance (Fourth Avenue and 35th Street)
8 a.m. to 4 p.m., every day
Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance (Fort Hamilton Parkway and Micieli Place)
and Prospect Park West Entrance (9th Avenue and 20th Street)
8 a.m. to 4 p.m., on weekends and days of remembrance only*
*Good Friday, Memorial Day, Sept. 11, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving,
All Soul’s Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- – Jogging, biking and other recreational activities are not permitted. Motorcycles are prohibited. Bike and motorcycle parking is available at all entrances.
- – Pets are not permitted.
- – Green-Wood enforces strict rules for placing flowers, plants, and decorations on the grounds and will remove any that are not allowed. A full set of rules is available in our main office.
We welcome and encourage you to take photos of Green-Wood. If you are posting them on Instagram, tag us with the hashtag #greenwoodcemetery or post to our Facebook page, The Green-Wood Cemetery, @historicgreenwood.
Professional photography (intended for publication or commercial use) is permitted only with the written consent of The Green-Wood Cemetery. The use of movie cameras, video and live models is strictly prohibited.
Please note that Green-Wood is an active and working cemetery. Please be respectful of funeral services and those visiting loved ones.
Green-Wood trolley tours are fully accessible and ADA compliant. Historic Green-Wood structures, like the Historic Chapel, may not be fully accessible for some individuals.