– To walk Green-Wood’s 478 acres is to follow the steps of New Yorkers and Americans dating back to 1838. We’ll give you a free map so you can stroll the grounds on your own, or you can use our self-guided walking tour books.
– You will discover a peaceful oasis in urban New York, and 175 years of history and beautiful landscape.
– Admission to Green-Wood is free at all times, and free maps are available at any of our entrances.
– Choose a guided tour or other event to attend. Public programs at Green-Wood highlight the landmark’s vast array of themes including New York culture, the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, landscape design, art and architecture, and much more.
– Book a private group or a school group to see Green-Wood by guide.
We have temporarily changed our hours to the following:
– Our Main Entrance (Fifth Avenue and 25th Street) will be open daily from 7am to 7pm.
– Our Sunset Park Entrance (Fourth Avenue and 35th Street) will be open daily from 8am to 7 pm.
– Our Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance (Fort Hamilton Parkway and Micieli Place) and Prospect Park West Entrance (Prospect Park West and 20th Street) will each be open from 11am to 7 pm Monday through Friday (pedestrian gate only) and 8 am to 7 pm on Saturday and Sunday
Green-Wood welcomes visitors at four entrances. Hours vary by season and by entrance.
Main Entrance (Fifth Avenue and 25th Street)
8am to 5pm October 1 to Mar 31, every day
7am to 7 pm April 1 to September 30, every day
Sunset Park Entrance (Fourth Avenue and 35th Street)
8am to 4pm, every day
Fort Hamilton Parkway Entrance (Fort Hamilton Parkway and Micieli Place)
and Prospect Park West Entrance (9th Avenue and 20th Street)
8am to 4pm, on weekends and days of remembrance only*
*Good Friday, Memorial Day, Sept. 11, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving,
All Soul’s Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
– Jogging, biking and other recreational activities are not permitted. Motorcycles are prohibited. Bike and motorcycle parking is available at all entrances.
– Pets are not permitted.
– Green-Wood enforces strict rules for placing flowers, plants, and decorations on the grounds and will remove any that are not allowed. A full set of rules is available in our main office.
We welcome and encourage you to take photos of Green-Wood. If you are posting them on Instagram, tag us with the hashtag #greenwoodcemetery or post to our Facebook page, The Green-Wood Cemetery, @historicgreenwood.
Professional photography (intended for publication or commercial use) is permitted only with the written consent of The Green-Wood Cemetery. The use of movie cameras, video and live models is strictly prohibited.
Please note that Green-Wood is an active and working cemetery. Please be respectful of funeral services and those visiting loved ones.
Green-Wood trolley tours are fully accessible and ADA compliant. Historic Green-Wood structures, like the Historic Chapel, may not be fully accessible for some individuals.