As one of New York City’s oldest and largest cemeteries, Green-Wood is an extraordinary resource for genealogists and anyone seeking information about their family members.
With more than 560,000 burials, the earliest dating to 1840, Green-Wood estimates that its genealogical information relates to over 20 million individuals alive today. That translates to a massive volume of unique genealogical resources.
It’s why we don’t just call our services genealogy; we call it “Green-ealogy.”
Here’s how it works
1. Fill out the form below and press send.
2. We then conduct our initial review (at no cost) and send you our research proposal for locating archival cemetery records that relate to your search.
3. We give you an estimate of how much time it will take to locate, copy and prepare those records and what it will cost. Research fees are $29.50 per half hour.
4. If you approve the charges, you use the link we provide to pay online.
5. After we receive payment, we conduct our research and prepare your personalized Set of Findings.
Please note that privacy laws and cemetery policy restrict the examination of records that are less than 70 years old, with some exceptions for lot-holders and family members.
Begin right now
What you can expect
There is often variation within the individual records, so we cannot guarantee a research outcome. In general, a Set of Findings may include:
- Lot ownership details – name of original purchaser, and list of heirs, if available
- Vital information for burials, such as:
- date of death
- age at death
- cause of death
- Burial Orders – copies of notes or letters from lot owners
- Photographs of a burial lot, monument or inscription
- Map of lot location
Our fees are $29.50 per half-hour of research, or part thereof. Research findings are delivered by email.
Members of Green-Wood (Dual/Family level and above) receive a 10% discount on genealogy services. Enter your member ID at checkout.